Friday, July 27, 2012

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Remember when I said I had a recipe for your garden herbs?? Well here it is and you put it in your cheese man.  I stumbled upon this recipe on GOOP.  If you haven't heard of GOOP it is a website Gwyneth Paltrow created to tell us what is cool and what she thinks we should buy, including her suggestions of the week like a paper tray for $270 or four Turkish towels for $240.  Umm...yah right.  So it really was a fluke to even end up on her website because based on her suggestions, I may not be her target audience.  What's even awesomer is that it really is Ina Garten's recipe who I love so much, I used to refer to her as my mom....she just seems so lovey dovey all the time.  And who wouldn't wanna come home to her home cooked meals?!

Anywho...click HERE for the recipe or just follow my quick breakdown.

1. Gather your ingredients: White wine vinegar (3 tbsp), Whole Milk (500ml), Heavy Cream (250ml) and Kosher Salt (1 tbsp).
2. Add the milk, cream and salt to a stainless steel pot.  Set heat to medium and stir occasionally.
3. While your mixture is working up a boil, line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and sit over a deep bowl.
4. When it has come to a boil, remove from heat and add the vinegar.  The mixture will begin to curdle separating the curds and whey.
5. Pour into the lined sieve.  Let sit at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes or longer for a thicker, less moist consistency.
6. Add your desired extras to the cheese.  I separated my finished cheese into two parts. To one half I added finely chopped herbs, I used chives, basil and thyme but you could use whatever you liked! To the other half I added a good quality honey.
 Mmmm, the perfect summer snack or light lunch! The honey cheese pairs so good with fresh fruit and the herb cheese is best on toasted or grilled baguette.  So simple!


No comments:

Post a Comment